Wednesday, August 19, 2009

8/16/09: In the jungle, the mighty jungle, the lion sleeps tonight.

.So I finally got a full nights sleep, which I desperately needed, and got some breakfast next door to the hostal with Phoebe. After we finished eating we packed up the van, took Taylor the ATM machine, and we were off to Nauta where we would switch over to a speedboat. The road to Nauta stretches 100km and took us about one and half hours to traverse. It was a beautifully scenic road trip. We got to see our first glimpse of the jungle that surrounds Iquitos, a diverse collection of flora, and bird. There were also some sombering moments as we drove past scenese of poverty that made Iquiitos look like Beverly Hills. It was also sad to see parts of the forest destroyed from illegal logging, but with such poverty, people have to do what they can to survive. When we arrived in the port village of Nauta I used the restroom, bought some water, and loaded up Lucos boat. The boat ride travelled up the Maranon River, into the Amazon River, and finally down the Ucuyalli River. The entire four hour journey I was in a trance. I could not beleive I was in a place I thought I would only ever see on "Planet Earth." A place where all things abundant converge to create the worlds greatest resource. I was told Pink Dolphins were native to the Amazon, but I had never expected to see any! They are incredible! They swam in large groups at speeds faster than our boat, and of course, they were super pink. So finally we reached Jenaro Herrera and I got situated with what will be my home for the next three months. The house has a seperate room for each of us, a common area, a kitchen, and of course the CEREMONY HOUSE!!! There is also a seperate apprentice house that is almost complete, and which I will be moving into. Finally we ate dinner, and then after taking our left overs around the village to feed the starving dogs, I passed out... even with the knowledge of the looming ceremony on Monday. Again. I apolgize for not putting up the pictures. I will put them up soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment