Saturday, August 15, 2009

Iquitos

So I am going to keep this short since I have slept only one hour in the last two days. I arrived in Iquitos this morning. It´s very hard to describe the feeling that came over me. It´s a very strange feeling to arrive on a 21st century aircraft in a country where you feel as if you have gone back in time. As I left the airport on my mototaxi, I was immedietly surrounded by extreme poverty. It was one of the most humbling experiences of my life. To go from the affluent Bay Area to a place where starving children come up to your table when you are eating to ask for any scraps of food you may have, is simply and undescribable emotion. Yet among all the poverty and suffering, the energy in Iquitos is incredible. I feel incredibly present and grounded while I am here. In this hot swealtering jungle city, it is clear to me that the people with nothing seem to have found something that those with plenty can not. All around me are smiling faces, helping hands, and open doors. Greed is non existent. When I tried to give my taxi driver a one dollar tip for the 8 mile taxi ride from the airport he looked at me with disgust that I would even try to give him more than what was expected for such a ride. I am still a little all over the place, and I´m sorry if my thoughts are unclear or rambling, but something about this city has struck a cord very deep within my heart. Anyways, later this evening I went out to dinner with my shaman. I have never met a man so laid back yet so completely aware. As I sat and chatted with him I felt that he already knew everything about me, my past lives, and my unescapable future. He told me and the others partaking on this journey with me that, ¨this next ayahuasca session will be a big one.¨ I can´t even begin to explain the dynamic of the group as we heard these words. What was originally a dinner full of fun and laughter immediately turned to silent contemplation of what is to come, and he wanted it this way. Later he walked us back to our hostal and as we said goodbye he embraced me with a hug that communicated more than I can comprehend at this moment. All I know is that the fleeting moment of that embrace gave me the determination, courage, and clarity to enter my first ayahuasca session on Monday evening. I´m sorry I couldn´t post any pictures of Iquitos, as my camera is back at the hostal, but I will put some up shortly. Love you all from the botom of my heart.

-Paul

2 comments:

  1. Have a awesome time man! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know you know how to paint pictures with words! I'm enjoying your adventure, however, there is nothing like the real thing.

    ReplyDelete